A lot has happened in the last week and a bit since I have sat down to write out any blog posts ! My life is always hectic, it’s just been a little bit more stressful lately.
Luna is allowed back into “full work” again. We are just taking it extremely slow as I really would like to keep her back protected and gain as much proper muscling as we can without over doing it. Not a lot of fast work, mostly walk/trot and long and low trying to sretch out that back and work it better.
She has been feeling so much better since the vet was out. The difference has been crazy. I had had a lady out to do a PEMF treatment on her on Friday, my old trainer, who I’ve been using as a personal trainer to help myself, is coming to see her next weekend to give us a program and see how we are affecting each other. I feel so much better when I stick to her program, so I am looking forward to what she will do for the both of us.
My parents were down the weekend before Easter and we got to meet their new doggo Bella !
There was lots of beagle yelling as she was very put out that her grandma and grandpa would DARE bring a new dog into HER own house !
But the biggest change of all is horse related….we are moving barns! It’s been a change I’ve been thinking about for a while now, but it is finally coming to fruition !
Well the vet was out again on Thursday to do their thing and find out some more stuff on what has been going on with Luna lately.
The ultrasound showed some changes going on, better then the x-ray showed the week before. Right now the vet is only grading them as being mild changes. Not exactly what a person wants to hear any day of the week.
We had a few different treatment options : shockwave, mesotherapy or injections. I chose to do the shockwave since it worked so well for Calika, and the mesotherapy. The injections weren’t a necessity at this point, and from here on out we at least have a reference point to go off if the pain relapses at a later point. Which I hope it doesn’t.
The mesotherapy was interesting to watch – even for a person that does not like needles. She got a combination of traumeel, lidocaine and dex from about her T15 to L2-ish region. It is supposed to “reset the pain” according to my vet and give them a chance to start feeling better.
day after – she was feeling much better
She has definitely been feeling better. She’s been LEAVING THE BALE to come to me when I go out to get her. Yeah, the hippo mare is actually leaving food to come and greet me. AND nickering at me. WTF. I am confused.
Which then also makes me feel like a shit owner. She has been giving my signs that she hasn’t been happy for quite some time. I just thought it was something else. Hindsight is 20/20…but still…
I get to get back on her on Monday for three light days before slowly working her back into what she was doing before. We are hoping that being able to strengthen her back/SI area will stabilize everything and maybe we won’t have to do what we do, or inject anytime soon. Time will tell.
For now she gets to have a cool racing stripe down her back 😂
The vet came on Friday. They did their thing. We know some things now. And they aren’t as bad as I thought they would be.
They are coming back again on Thursday to ultrasound and then we will start treatments right away. We’ve already gone over those, I’ve received the quotes and now it is just a waiting game.
I don’t want to go too much into it just yet as we won’t have a definitive answer until we ultrasound and see some more of what is going on.
I am very proud of my pony though. The once wild thang that used to make my one vet always say how good Calika was is now a sane, well behaved citizen for the vet. Except the one she saw when she had some tummy troubles. Because you don’t forget the vet that tried to shove tubes up your nose.
So for now we are just playing an other level of the waiting game. Just for a couple more days. I am hoping we get the answers we need and she starts to feel better!